Following World War II, two serving Fleet Air Arm Officers; E.W. Cuff-Miller and H.D. Steele, who had become good friends, considered the future in post-war Britain.
‘H.D.’, returning to his civilian life in the Motor Trade was able to continue to develop his already established business in Worthing.
‘Cuff’, was certain that he did not want to return to his former position as a Bank Clerk and decided to follow his interests and his friend, by becoming involved with cars and with help from H.D. decided to open his own garage.
With a combination of Cuff’s enthusiasm, H.D.’s experience and joint investment Cuff Miller & Co was born on 29th March 1947, operating four franchises; Fiat, Rootes Group, Jaguar and Ford.
The original site was situated at Thorncroft Garage (now occupied by Honda) just up the road from our current site. A friendly, community garage; Cuff Miller soon became known affectionately as ‘Cuffs’.
‘Cuffs’ continued to develop and grow throughout the 1950’s, during which Cuff enjoyed a motor-racing career; piloting a variety of cars including Ford, Riley, Allard, Talbot, Sunbeam, MG, Marcos and Aston Martin; rubbing shoulders with many internationally famous drivers such as Sir Stirling Moss and a young Derek Bell, who got his first competitive drive in a Marcos lent to him by Cuff himself.
Undoubtedly, Motor-racing is part of our fabric and a passion that many of the team enjoy today.
By the mid 1950’s Cuff Miller & Co. had outgrown the Thornycroft site and with business booming, an all-new purpose built site was constructed at our present location on the junction of Horsham Road and Southfields Road.
Although the neighbouring landscape has changed dramatically, Cuff Miller is still easily recognisable, albeit developed featuring the Esso petrol station forecourt.
By the end of 1980, Cuff Miller focused purely on the Ford brand, offering a wide selection of new and used Ford vehicles. It’s a relationship that has developed from the start, we are proud to still be your local Ford Dealer over 70 years later.
In 1990, E.W. Cuff Miller sadly passed away at the age of 84 and his loss was greatly felt by all the team. To this day, Cuff’s portrait and racing memorabilia that is so integral to our history is proudly on display.
By this time, Cuff Miller had developed into a multi-million pound business, but the friendly, family atmosphere still remained; Cuff’s mantra “A satisfied customer is more important than extra profit’ central to the company philosophy.
By the turn of the millennium, cars had begun to evolve greatly, all now controlled by an ECU, with increasing levels of safety; Airbags, ABS, convenience; air-conditioning and power steering and environmental responsibility with greater emissions control.
With a changing workshop environment, investment increased in specialist diagnostic equipment and training, alongside traditional mechanical work.
In 2017 Cuffs celebrates its 70th Anniversary serving Littlehampton, Sussex, Surrey, Hampshire and we are proud to supply customers around the world; exporting cars to Europe, Africa and even Malaysia.
Although we’ve seen a huge amount of change in the last 70 years, now, more than ever, Cuff’s customer service principles remain in tact.
Vehicles in our workshop are independently inspected by the RAC to ensure they meet the high Ford standards for servicing and repair. The checks are conducted at random on customer vehicles throughout the year and include physical and visual quality checks.